WE SELL MASSACHUSETTS GROWN SOD!
CALL NOW FOR PICK UP OR DELIVERY!
PREMIUM BLUE GRASS BY THE ROLL 2′ X 5′ ROLL = 10 SQ FT
OR BY THE PALLET = 500 SQ FT
What You Need To Know About SOD
How do I know how much sod I will need?
Multiply the length in feet by the width in feet of the area you are looking to sod. This will give you the total square footage to order. You can either order by the square foot – or by the roll. (1 roll is 10 square feet at 2’ x 5’)
How Soon Can I Use the Sod?
For best establishment, the sod needs time to properly root to the new soil. Early watering often makes the soil underneath the sod soft, and susceptible to ruts. Making deep footprints when the soil is soft won’t hurt the sod, but will make for an uneven lawn in the future. Therefore, use your new lawn sparingly until good root establishment has taken place, usually 2-3 weeks. Avoid concentrated play activities, dog traffic or similar rough usage until four weeks have passed. There are no restrictions on visually enjoying your lawn!
Sod needs to be installed the day of delivery! Sod is a living plant that requires immediate water, nutrients and air to establish itself and thrive.
Soil Preparation for Sod
1. Clear the site of all rocks, stones or other debris that is larger than 1-2 inches in diameter.
2. Rough grade the entire area to eliminate drainage problems by sloping the grade away from building foundations and filling low-lying areas.
3. Till the existing soil to a minimum depth of at least 2 inches before adding any topsoil or soil amendments.
4. Add topsoil to achieve a total depth of 4 – 6 inches.
5. Apply New Seeding Fertilizer at the recommended rate.
6. Apply Fast Acing Lime at the recommended rate.
Laying Your Quality Sod
1. Start at a straight line such as a driveway, wall or walkway.
2. Lay out the sod as you would a rug or tiles.
3. Make sure all joints are butted tightly together without overlapping or spaces between the strips of sod.
4. Stagger the joints in each row like rows of bricks.
5. Use a large sharp knife for shaping sod around trees, flower beds or along borders.
6. Completely soak the sod with at least 1″ of water. Start watering 20 minutes after the first strip is laid.
7. Roll or tamp the sod to smooth out small bumps and air pockets. This will assure good contact with the soil.
Immediate Watering Schedule
8. To gauge watering, simply place an empty can about 6 inches away from sprinkler.
9. When there is an inch of water in the can, it is time to move the sprinkler to the next area.
10. Reflected heat along buildings dries sod quickly; be sure to water such areas more often.
Second through Fifth Day Watering
It’s very important to water your new lawn at least once per day during the week after installation, to ensure that there is adequate moisture for the turf to flourish. During hot and/or windy weather, you may need to check for moisture more than once per day. To determine if additional watering is needed lift a comer of the grass in several places. The soil should be damp, not dripping wet or dusty dry.
Signs of Under Watering
Areas where the grass has wilted, or turned a straw color, have not received enough water. Seeing green grass turn brown almost overnight will get your attention! This is the most obvious symptom of under watering. Sod that has not been watered adequately shows signs of yellowing along the edges of each individual piece first. The roots and crowns of the grass plant are still alive, and in most cases, new leaves will appear in seven to ten days, if immediate action is taken.
Your new living carpet needs mowing 6-7 days after installation. The basic mowing rule is never removing more than 1/3 of the leaf blade during a single mowing. Mow when grass height reaches 3″-3 1/2″. Set your mower at a cutting height of 2″-2 1/2″. For best appearance, be sure to keep your mower blades sharp.
Other than the Starter Fertilizer you applied when laying the sod your new lawn does not need any fertilizer for at least three weeks. Stop into either our Lunenburg or Winchendon stores and we’ll help you set up a fertilization schedule.
BEYOND BLUE GRASS – SUPER SOD!
RTF Rhizomatous Tall Fescue is an advanced turf-type tall fescue that produces underground stems. So revolutionary – we call it Super Sod! Self-Repairing RTF will quickly fill in damaged or open spots with new shoots of grass. Heavy traffic is no problem for this super sod!
RTF rapidly develops a deep root system that is tolerant of drought and heat. University studies showed RFT needs substantially less water than traditional lawns.
Sun or Shade?
RTF is one of the most shade tolerant of grasses. In full sun RTF will not brown out in the heat of summer. RTF will thrive in either sun or shade!
Soft-to-the touch lawn
Thick, even and soft! RTF has fine textured leaves which produce a dense, dark green, uniform lawn.
RTF sod is special order only, so call now to place your order for quick delivery and amazing results!